Thursday, September 20, 2007

In Memoriam


Just wanted to note the sad passing of Louis V. Amalfitano who died peacefully at home surrounded by his family on Sept. 2, after a long battle with cancer.

If you ever had a sandwich at the Grotto Pizza or Seasons Pizza & Restaurant chains or from dozens of other delis and eateries in Delaware, you ate one Lou Amalfitano's rolls.

Lou was one of the owners, and the head baker, of Amalfitano's Italian Bakery in New Castle. Born in Ischia, Italy, he immigrated to America with his parents and sister when he was 10 years old and settled in Linwood, Pa.

Amalfitano once said the secret to his baking success was his use of water and steam. In 2005, Fred Comegys took this photo of Lou when Amalfitano's Bakery was firing up its ovens during the Philadelphia Eagles Super Bowl fever.
Amalfitano's is adjacent to the News Journal's back parking lot. Sometimes, when I walk out to my car, I can smell the aroma of baking bread. It's one of the most comforting aromas in the world and always makes me smile - even when I'm having a bad day.

Jim Jannuzzio of Dom's Deli in New Castle was a true believer in the quality of Amalfitano's bread.
"There's no better roll in the state," said Jannuzzio, who has been making subs and steaks with Amalfitano's rolls since 1989.
"It's the texture, it's the crust. I'm Italian and I know good bread."

No comments: