Thursday, September 13, 2007

Risotto rocks

My autumnal mood is complete.
The other night I made creamy, porcini risotto and it made me so happy.
The earthy, woodsy aroma of the dried porcinis as they softened in hot water reminded me of bonfires and the Tuscan countryside. (During the fall, in my favorite, rural hilltown in Italy, there's a constant smell of smoke in the air from all the wood-burning stoves.) The perfume from the warm porcinis was so comforting and inspiring, I decided to grab a batch of rich, homemade chicken stock from my freezer instead of opening a box of College Inn broth.
I wanted to make a proper risotto with absolutely no shortcuts.
After grating Parmigiano Reggiano - none of that pregrated cheese for this dish - I took my time sauteing the onions and, later, the arborio rice.
Sure, it wasn't a quick fix meal. And it did take some patience - to defrost the chicken broth and constantly stir the risotto and ladle stock.
But, sometimes, this kind of slow, contemplative cooking is good for the stomach - and the soul.

No comments: