Sunday, August 24, 2008

Green Dragon Market










It's been all Biden, all the time, here at The News Journal. (Well, it feels a little like that, but, hey, these are history making events, especially in little Delaware.) And I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that a guy you can see fairly frequently around town - at Angelo's Luncheonette, the Charcoal Pit, BrewHaHa! - could be our next Vice President.

But, it's time to get back to food.

Friday, I took a trip out to the Green Dragon Market in Ephrata, Pa., in Lancaster County. I thought it would be more of a food fest, but it's kind of like Booth's Corner Market and Cowtown flea market on steroids. Lots of knockoff handbags, socks and sneakers for sale....

I did get some homemade horseradish from an Amish farmer - and a huge bucket of beets for $3. (Everyone I know is getting roasted beets today...)

Had a good pork and sauerkraut lunch with homemade mashed potatoes at Jake and Leona's Restaurant. I was tempted to try their "cracker pudding." (Not the most political correct name.) It's a pudding made with saltines and coconut. Our server said was a local Pennsylvania Dutch treat and was very tasty, if you like coconut. Seriously

But was too stuffed after my lunch. I was so looking forward to good birch beer, but the cup I had was flat. Boo.

Several of the Amish farmers make and sell their own homemade rootbeer. Didn't get a jug...maybe on my next visit....

This is the place to go if you love big apple dumplings and shoo-fly pie. The pie was everywhere and selling fast.
But I'm still not quite sure what a pie with a "wet bottom" is.

And, frankly, I'm not really sure I want to know.

No comments: