Monday, August 4, 2008

Sweety Pie: Part III


I had one single 9-inch pie crust left from Hockessin pastry chef Liz Marden's pie crust recipe (recipes all coming Wednesday along with a pie article and pie tips!) and I wanted to test another pie recipe.

So right now I'm baking Miss Patty's berry pie with crumb topping.

Well, the recipe is actually an adaption of Miss Viola's blueberry pie with crumb topping from the cookbook "Sweety Pies" (Taunton Press, 2007.) Yeah! No rolling out a top crust.

"Miss Patty" - that would be me - used a mix of raspberries, blackberries and blueberries instead of just blueberries. (That's butter dotting the top of the pie filling - right before I put the crumb topping on. Photo below is what it looked like right before I popped it into the oven.)

Pie's almost done. My cat Big Boy keeps raising his nose in the air. (Hmmm, a cat that likes pie? A possible children's book? Or maybe the Big Boy still smells the salmon I cooked earlier tonight? Well, to me, the house smells like pie, not fish. And, to quote Martha, that's a good thing.)

I'm having pie for breakfast; so if it's great - and it looks good - I may change the recipe.

UPDATE: Pie is the breakfast of champions. This is damn good pie. I'm tweaking the recipe; I think using three different kinds of berries is the way to go.

No comments: