Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Hungry, hungry reporter


Regular Guy Grub
Where is your favorite place to go when you have worked up a really big appetite?

After a long day of work Monday, there was only one place for me. Cafe Napoli Restaurant & Pizzeria, in the Kirkwood Plaza Shopping Center.

Well known for its large portions as well as its good food, I was in the right mood for a stromboli, and I was not disappointed. In short, it hit the spot, and that might be the best review one can give.

I went in there around 6 p.m. and the place was hopping, with both dining rooms bustling. But the cooks and wait staff were up to the challenge, because this a place that cares about its customers and actually has concern that the customer comes back. At another place I went to for a bite to eat in the past week, the vibe was certainly one where they could not have cared any less if I patronized them or not. I won't name names, but think Riverfront, and no, not on the side of the harbor.

Anyway, if for some reason you have never heard of Cafe Napoli, check it out (4391 Kirkwood Highway, Kirkwood Plaza Shopping Center, between Limestone Rd. and Farrand Dr., 999-7553).

Meanwhile, as I waited for my dinner, I ducked into the nearby Pathmark for some quick shopping. I checked out the cereal aisle, to see if maybe this grocery chain sells the Monster Cereals (Frankenberry, etc.). I was again shut out. Does any place sell these cereals? I did like Pathmark's take on the self-checkout registers. They have conveyor belts, unlike those at Acme. The method is better at recognizing items after you've scanned them (meaning, no repeat hearing of "item removed from bagging area," though I'm pretty good now at never hearing that).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

they have 3 location.Kirkwood, Main St Newark, Rt 40 near Govenors Sq. Owned by the same family, cousins, etc.. All 3 are great. Kirkwood is the oldest, then Rt 40 then Main St. Food is great. The Rt 40 restraunt has outstanding specials..And it is enough for 2. Side note about your corn chip dillema. I tried "Wise" brand corn chips. Country Maid @ University Plaza. It crushes Herrs corn chips. Fritos is still better

Anonymous said...

Cafe Napoli and Taqueria Moroleon in Kennett Square are our "nothing in the fridge" restaurants. Great food at low prices. Taqueria Moroleon is a BYOB also.