Monday, August 11, 2008

Restaurants that begin with the letter A


Work on "the money pit" has kept me on a short leash lately and dining out has slacked off. But this weekend I made up for it. A good reward was needed after so much manual labor.
Friday night had dinner at Azie in Media, Pa.
Philly Inquirer paid eater Craig LaBan wasn't much impressed. I just had a few maki rolls - spicy tuna, vegetable and the Azie roll- which were fine. But nothing we tried will have me running back there anytime soon. The avocado "sashimi" is very good so was my glass of Gruner Veltliner.
On Sat. night, we tried to dine at Agave, the fairly new Mexican restaurant and tequila bar at 137 Second St. in Lewes; 645-1232. (Photo to the left.)
The theme of the weekend: Restaurants beginning with the letter A.
Unfortunately, it seems that eating at Agave was on the minds of everyone else staying in Lewes.
Wait for dinner: A solid two hours. (Agave doesn't take reservations.)
Yowsa!
Every place in Lewes was mad, crazy busy. OK, now I've been hearing about the economy killing restaurant business, but you certainly couldn't tell this past Saturday night.
Saturday afternoon a lot of restaurants - and ice cream and French fry stands - were busy in Rehoboth. I got my customary Kohr Brothers twisted custard (vanilla and orange), but was saving room for my planned Agave dinner - and margarita - to come later in that evening.
But the two-hour wait was even too much for me - and the gang with me. We got glasses of wine at the tiny Half Full pizza joint (behind King's Ice Cream) and waited for take-out pizza. It wasn't a disappointment.
The gourmet pizza there is terrific - especially the corn and crab. Don't mock it, until you try it. Normally, I scoff at anything offbeat on pizza - still can't convince me there's any merit to Hawaiian pizza - but the corn was locally grown and so sweet, it worked really well with the crab.
And we got to watch the Olympics with a really good pizza and great friends.
Now, that's one good weekend.

No comments: