Thursday, August 14, 2008

Things you find....and learn....

Do you know what that thing in the photo above is used for?

For a long time I didn't. But, for years, my mother had a utensil (?) very similar to this in one of her junk drawers. What the heck is that thing?? I think we used it to brush the dog.

She even forgot what it was for - and I think it was eventually tossed after the dog died because now I can't find it.

This week, I started researching a story on angel food cake, the spongy, yet tender cake that's baked in an ungreased tube pan. (Why angel food cake? It's a perfect summer dessert and I found a tube pan with a removable bottom recently found while digging through one of my mom's kitchen cabinets.)

Angel food is hard to cut with a regular knife. You usually use a serrated knife, two forks to pull it apart or - a CAKE BREAKER (which is sometimes called a cake comb.)

So that's what that thing is - a cake breaker or cake comb.

OK, cool. Now, if I just had one to break the angel food cake I made last night.

No comments: