Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Yo, Tony, um, I mean Jim


Do you have a pal who always knows the hottest place or is the know about The Next Big Thing?That’s my pal Andy.
Andy told me about albarino (Spanish white wine), Proscecco (sparkling Italian wine) and Momofuku Noodle Bar in the New York’s Greenwich Village - long before they were cool.
Dining out with Andy is always an adventure. We try and meet up in New York at least once a year.
Before one lunch, Andy asked, “Oh, do you mind if I bring a friend?” Said friend was Heather on “General Hospital” or Janet from Another Planet on “All My Children,” depending on which ABC soap you may have watched.
The friend’s real name is really Robin. But all through lunch I had keep myself from saying, “Heather, could you please pass me the rolls?”
Looking around the restaurant that day, there were editors from all the top culinary magazines and even celebrity chef icon Jacques Pepin. The chef in the kitchen was Patricia Quintana or the Julia Child of Mexican. Patricia Quintana - who’s the subject of a story today in The New York Times - came over to chat with our table. So did Jacques Pepin.
What can I say? That’s Andy.
I’m heading to New York this weekend and I’m hoping to meet up with Andy. Last time, we talked about getting together Andy mentioned maybe having drinks with Jim, an old college pal from Rutgers.
Sounds good. Jim, it seems, is James Gandolfini or Tony Soprano. OK, I don’t usually get star struck but drinks with Tony Soprano? How cool would that be?
With Andy you just never know what's going to happen.

No comments: