Friday, May 4, 2007

Reader mail

It's Friday - so you know what that means: You ask, we answer.

QUESTION: Can you recommend an Eastern European (Polish, Russian, Ukranian, etc.)
restaurant or two? This type of food seems scarce around here ...
Thanks in advance, Deborah Ryszka


ANSWER: Deborah, there's a little place in Wilmington's Little Italy neighborhood called Sophie's Polish Kitchen, 402 N. Union St.; 426-1400. It's eat or take out. I've driven by it many times, but I must say I haven't stopped in. Rehoboth Beach has the very high end Red Square Restaurant and Caviar Bar, 162 Rehoboth Ave, 302-226-7782. They specialize in caviar and vodka.
The Warsaw Cafe, 306 S. 16th St. in Philadelphia, 215-546-0204 has Eastern European fare like pierogi and borscht. Readers, am I missing other restaurants? I'm drawing a blank.

QUESTION: Patricia & Eric, Hello, and because of your Delaware restaurant expertise, I have a question to pose. At the end of this month I will be graduating with my master's degree from the University of Delaware. I'm originally from Wisconsin, so I'm not so familiar with this area.
I have 13 relatives coming into town for the big event, and my father has offered to pay to treat everyone to lunch after the ceremony. He's asked me to select a restaurant, and I want to choose something nice, but moderately priced because of the number of people.
My question is- do you know of any restaurants in northern Delaware that do a great job of serving family style meals, or maybe a great Chinese or Thai place where we could order up a number of entrees and pass the food around? I don't want to put a dent in my father's pocketbook, but I'd like to go somewhere relatively nice to commemorate the occasion.
Please let me know your thoughts! Best, Mary Kumar


ANSWER: Mary, that's so nice of your father to treat the family. If you like Thai, I'd consider Tasti Thai, 287 Christiana Road in the Community Plaza Shopping Center, New Castle; 322-1306. Open 11 a.m.-10 p.m. daily. The bland strip shopping center exterior doesn't do justice to this exciting and extremely affordable restaurant that opened about a year ago. Check it out first and see if it meets your price range. Indian food is another good option. Try Palace of Asia, 3421 Kirkwood Hwy, Wilmington, 994-9200. Here's the web site so you can look over the menu.

No comments: