Tuesday, May 8, 2007

New Italian eats

I recently popped into the new Ristorante Pomodoro Italiano, 729 N. Union St., Wilmington, 574-9800 for my dime, my time dinner.
It's way too early for a review - this Little Italy restaurant is only about a month old at the most. Anyway, this is a place that Eric Ruth will most likely tackle for a 55 Hours review.
But my first impressions: Not at all bad. The setting is cozy and I enjoyed the antipasti platter and fettucine with porcini mushrooms. During our visit - a very busy weekend night - every seat was taken. It seemed like some kinks were still being worked out between the kitchen and dining room - we had long waits between appetizers and pasta, as did other tables around us. (And my dining companion's entree was brought at the same time as his pasta.) Mostly, I didn't mind the slow pace. We were drinking a nice wine and had a good long talk. A dining manager - or perhaps the owner - gave us complimentary chocolate-flavored liqueurs for dessert because of the delays. This is the kind of customer service diners appreciate. And you could tell the staff was working hard to please.
I'd go back again - my dime, my time.

No comments: