Thursday, May 17, 2007

What's in a name?

I try not to let labels sway me when I'm looking for wine.
But sometimes I can't help myself.
Roses are my favorite summer wines. (Please, don't confuse these pink drinks with sugary white zinfandel or the Boones Farm Tickle Pink rot gut of your youth.) A beautifully chilled rose can be robust and bone-dry, especially a Tavel rose, which is why it's perfect with garlic and olive oil heavy southern French dishes.
I recently tried Francis Ford Coppola's 2006 Sofia Pinot Noir rose simply because my favorite 4-year-old is named Sophie. Very pretty bottle and the wine, about $16, is soft and as aromatic as a sun-warmed strawberry field.
I just got a press release for Fat Bastard rose. Shills say that the wine, made from 100 percent Shiraz, "pairs well with spicy barbeque favorites or crisp salads."
OK, I'll try it. But the real reason why I'm going to sample this $10.99 wine is that I simply want to see the reaction when I begin pouring:

"Fat Bastard? Who wants a Fat Bastard?"

Maturity has never been my strong suit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another good inexpensive Rose' is Chaddsford Sunset Blush. It's a little sweet and smells like peaches and is great anytime. I hope you'll let us know how you like the Fat Bastard, I'm looking forward to reading about it.

Anonymous said...

While you're on the subject, everyone should check out Avondale's VaLa Vineyards website at www.valavinyards.com...it is hilarious. June 2 they are having VaLaPalooza.

Anonymous said...

correction: www.valavineyards.com