Wednesday, May 23, 2007

New York Times "discovers" Marc Vetri

I adore New York. Really I do. It's probably my favorite eating city in the world (though London and Rome are near and dear to my heart.)
But I get so tired, and bored, with the arrogance of the New York culinary press. Take the story by Frank Bruni in today's New York Times on Philadelphia chef Marc Vetri.
Marc is one of Philly's treasures, a chef who's truly dedicated to his craft. Mr. Bruni knows that so he hopped the train - or maybe drove? - from the Big Apple to visit the City of Brotherly Love. He dined at Marc's first restaurant, Vetri, and at his new place, Osteria.
Bruni gave big hugs to Vetri and thought Osteria needed work.
And that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. (For the record, I had a wonderful experience at Osteria. It's a restaurant I want to visit often.)
But I almost tossed aside the article when Bruni wrote "Vetri ranks with the very best Italian restaurants in New York. "
Got that all you hayseeds who don't live in Manhattan??
Pleeeeassse. There is life - and many outstanding restaurants - outside of New York.

No comments: