Monday, April 9, 2007

What's cooking


I took a couple days off from the local restaurant scene and spent some quality time in the kitchen.

(Hello there, food processor. Nice to see you again, cast-iron frying pan.)

I served 12 people dinner on Thursday night and had another full house on Easter Sunday.

Good times. But now, I'm ready to have someone else make my meals for a while.

I had the chance to try out many new recipes - thankfully my dear friends and family let me

experiment on them. (Thanks gang!) The results were often good but I won't share the

asparagus and Napa cabbage dish that sounded really good in print, but turned out to be

a soggy concoction not to be repeated. (Do cookbook authors test their recipes???)

But here is a dish to try - I ripped it out of Bon Appetit magazine last April - it's good for a buffet
or gathering because it can be served at room temperature. Don't make it too far in advance. (Or
wait until the last minute to add the basil; cut basil turns black after a few hours.)
Also, while it say it makes 8 servings, I think it's more like 10 to 12 servings, but I also had many other dishes on my buffet :


Orzo with tomatoes, feta cheese and green onions

1/4 cup red wine vinegar

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

1 teaspoon honey

1/2 cup olive oil

2 cups chicken broth

4 cups water

1 pound orzo (or riso)

2 cups red and yellow teardrop or grape tomatoes, halved

1 7-ounce package feta cheese, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 1 1/2 cups)

1 cup chopped fresh basil

1 cup chopped green onions

1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

Whisk vinegar, lemon juice, and honey in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.)

Bring broth and water to boil in large heavy saucepan. Stir in orzo, reduce heat to medium, cover partially, and boil until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain.

Transfer to large wide bowl, tossing frequently until cool.

Mix tomatoes, feta, basil, and green onions into orzo. Add vinaigrette; toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.)

Add pine nuts; toss. Serve at room temperature.

Makes 8 servings.

No comments: